Where do the objects in our Judaica collection come from?

Provenance research at the Jewish Museum Frankfurt

In 1987, the city council decided to give the remaining objects from the Museum of Jewish Antiquities maintained in the Historical Museum oFrankfurt to the new Jewish Museum, which opened its doors in 1988. The Jewish Museum also received the Judaica holdings the Historical Museum had acquired after World War II. The total of around 100 objects became the foundation of the new museum’s Judaica collection.

The Jewish Museum proceeded to acquire additional ceremonial objects at auctions and from art dealers until the 2000s. The museum also received objects from collectors such as Ignatz Bubis, Josef Buchmann and Siegfried Baruch.

Since May 2018, the provenance of the Judaica objects has become the subject of a two-year research project supported by the German Lost Art foundation (Deutsches Zentrum Kulturgutverluste). The research is focused on both the history of the objects as well as of previous owners. The core of the project is the reconstruction of the theft and expropriation committed between 1933 and 1945.

Prior to reopening the Jewish Museum in 2019, the project will dedicate its research to those objects to be displayed in the new permanent exhibition but whose provenance between 1933 and 1945 has not been fully accountable. Moreover, the research findings will be incorporated into the online collection and be published regularly on this website.

Our contact person for the research project about the provenance of our Judaica: